Why you shouldn’t choose cheap hosting for your business website
You get what you pay for.
Yes, you can get cheap hosting from $2.99/month (for the first year and then it usually more than doubles after that). However, you should ask yourself, why is it that cheap when other companies costs start at $15/month?
There are several reasons that companies offer cheap hosting.
- Companies that offer cheap hosting do it to get you hooked and then they increase the costs after the first year.
- They often try to sell you add-ons that some of the better hosting companies include with their price in the first place.
- They think, if they can get you in the door, then they can get you to upgrade later.
- They know that it isn’t easy to switch once they have you in the door.
- Perhaps the biggest reason is that they make their money on quantity and not quality and they are ok with that.
- Cheap hosting isn’t going to be as secure and the servers probably won’t be as fast.
- Cheap hosting probably won’t give you things like staging sites, temporary domains, nightly backups, SSL certificates…
So, let’s say you choose to go with a cheap solution. Everything seems fine at first, but then you start noticing that your site loads really slow and or worst case scenario, your site gets hacked. Unless you are willing to close it out and start over, you will most likely have to spend several frustrating hours on the phone or a chat window trying to get support to help you or you will have to pay a professional to fix the issue. As soon as you have to pay for the extras and or pay for a professional to fix any issues, all savings are gone. This also assumes that the site can be fixed. If you get hacked, sometimes the only option to get the site back up and running is to delete and do a restore from a backup. If you don’t have a clean backup, then you might just have to delete and start over from scratch. Also, a hacked site won’t make you look good to your customers. The last thing you want is a customer reporting that their computer got infected because they visited your site.
At the end of the day, cheap hosting packages often wind up being more expensive in the long run for many reasons. We are always happy to work with your existing hosting or help you set up new hosting accounts. However, from our experience, cheaper hosting often takes longer due to cheaper setup tools, additional configuration between our development environments, and quite often we have to learn how to use the system. So, although you might save a little extra upfront on hosting, you might also wind up paying a little more in down the line fees from your hosting company or from Confluence due to the hosting not being managed by us.